- Live in Harmony with Each Other (10-17)
10a I appeal to you, dear brothers and sisters, by the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ, to live in harmony with each other.
- How do We do It? Get Along with each Other
10b Let there be no divisions in the church. Rather, be of one mind, united in thought and purpose. 11 For some members of Chloe’s household have told me about your quarrels, my dear brothers and sisters. 12 Some of you are saying, “I am a follower of Paul.” Others are saying, “I follow Apollos,” or “I follow Peter,” or “I follow only Christ.”
- Christ is the One to Follow, all others are Second.
“He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less.” John 3:30 (John the Baptist, when speaking of his Cousin Jesus)
- If we focus on Jesus, then the thoughts of Others do not Dominate our Lives.
- Don’t Let your Pride Destroy Unity
“Live in harmony with each other. Don’t be too proud to enjoy the company of ordinary people. And don’t think you know it all!” Romans 12:16
2. Remember, All Wisdom comes from God (18-25)
18 The message of the cross is foolish to those who are headed for destruction! But we who are being saved know it is the very power of God.
19 As the Scriptures say, “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise and discard the intelligence of the intelligent.”
20 So where does this leave the philosophers, the scholars, and the world’s brilliant debaters? God has made the wisdom of this world look foolish.
- God’s Wisdom, is Power for every Believer
- How do we let this Happen? We let God be in charge…okay, we acknowledge that God is in charge! Whether we like it or not!! He is the man…the first and the last…the Alpha and the Omega, don’t get so high on your horse that you forget that you may fall off!!
- We study, listen to, walk with, read from, pray to…God. He is our Power for Life!!
- God’s Wisdom, Renders the World’s Wisdom as Foolish
21 Since God in his wisdom saw to it that the world would never know him through human wisdom, he has used our foolish preaching to save those who believe. 22 It is foolish to the Jews, who ask for signs from heaven. And it is foolish to the Greeks, who seek human wisdom. 23 So when we preach that Christ was crucified, the Jews are offended and the Gentiles say it’s all nonsense.
- Look at verse 20, So where does this leave the philosophers, the scholars, and the world’s brilliant debaters? God has made the wisdom of this world look foolish…
6 All wisdom comes from the Lord… Proverbs 2:6
17 The wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others… James 3:17
Look at this Video Clip from God is Not Dead
The Movie is a Great Statement of God’s Wisdom Rendering the World’s Wisdom as Foolish. God has taken the things that world would call Smart or Wise, and Made them look Foolish!
24 But to those called by God to salvation, both Jews and Gentiles, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 This foolish plan of God is wiser than the wisest of human plans, and God’s weakness is stronger than the greatest of human strength.
III. Boast in the Lord, Not in Ourselves! (26-31)
(This will help a lot of relationships, work, marriage…)
26 Remember, dear brothers and sisters, that few of you were wise in the world’s eyes or powerful or wealthy when God called you. 27 Instead, God chose things the world considers foolish in order to shame those who think they are wise. And he chose things that are powerless to shame those who are powerful. 28 God chose things despised by the world, things counted as nothing at all, and used them to bring to nothing what the world considers important. 29 As a result, no one can ever boast in the presence of God.
30 God has united you with Christ Jesus. For our benefit God made him to be wisdom itself. Christ made us right with God; he made us pure and holy, and he freed us from sin.
- How do we do this? Humble Ourselves before the Lord…and Everyone Else
29 As a result, no one can ever boast in the presence of God.
3 Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Philippians 2:3
- Remember we are Wise because God has made us Wise.
- If there is any wisdom in us at all it is from God.
31 Therefore, as the Scriptures say, “If you want to boast, boast only about the Lord.”
? Trust in God’s Word, Not in Human Wisdom (1-9)
2:1 When I first came to you, dear brothers and sisters, I didn’t use lofty words and impressive wisdom to tell you God’s secret plan. 2 For I decided that while I was with you I would forget everything except Jesus Christ, the one who was crucified. 3 I came to you in weakness—timid and trembling. 4 And my message and my preaching were very plain. Rather than using clever and persuasive speeches, I relied only on the power of the Holy Spirit. 5 I did this so you would trust not in human wisdom but in the power of God.
- We are Tempted to Trust in Ourselves
- That’s how we miss God’s work in our lives.
- Paul wrote to the Corinthians,
“Rather than using clever and persuasive speeches, I relied only on the power of the Holy Spirit.” (v.4)
- Instead, Let’s Trust in the Word!
6 Yet when I am among mature believers, I do speak with words of wisdom, but not the kind of wisdom that belongs to this world or to the rulers of this world, who are soon forgotten. 7 No, the wisdom we speak of is the mystery of God—his plan that was previously hidden, even though he made it for our ultimate glory before the world began.
8 But the rulers of this world have not understood it; if they had, they would not have crucified our glorious Lord.
- God Has Prepared His Word for Us, For Those He Loves!!!
9 That is what the Scriptures mean when they say, “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him.”
? Know the Wonderful Things God has Given Us (10-12)
10 But it was to us that God revealed these things by his Spirit. For his Spirit searches out everything and shows us God’s deep secrets. 11 No one can know a person’s thoughts except that person’s own spirit, and no one can know God’s thoughts except God’s own Spirit.
- God does not want us to Guess about what lies ahead for us; that’s why He has told us a great deal in His Word about our future and why He has given us His Spirit, to help us understand what He has revealed.
“When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth.” John 16:13
12 And we have received God’s Spirit (not the world’s spirit), so we can know the wonderful things God has freely given us.
? Allow the Spirit to Speak Through You (13-16)
13 When we tell you these things, we do not use words that come from human wisdom. Instead, we speak words given to us by the Spirit, using the Spirit’s words to explain spiritual truths. 14 But people who aren’t spiritual can’t receive these truths from God’s Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them and they can’t understand it, for only those who are spiritual can understand what the Spirit means. 15 Those who are spiritual can evaluate all things, but they themselves cannot be evaluated by others.
- Believer’s Speak ‘Words Given by the Spirit’
- We use the Spirit’s words to explain the Truths of God.
- It is the Power of the Spirit working in our Lives. The Spirit is Speaking through us!!
- Only the Spiritual can Receive , Understand and Evaluate God’s Truth:
16 For, “Who can know the Lord’s thoughts? Who knows enough to teach him?” But we understand these things, for we have the mind of Christ.
The Apostle Paul said there were 6 Church Life Changers. I think it would awesome if we could all apply one or two to our lives at Impact…
? Live in Harmony with Each Other
? Remember, All Wisdom comes from God
Boast in the Lord, Not in Ourselves!
? Trust in God’s Word, Not in Human Wisdom
? Know the Wonderful things God has Given Us
? Allow the Spirit to Speak Through You