Week 7 – THE INSUFFICIENCY OF HELL, Psalm 63:1-3
- Hell is a Place of Separation . It is known as Sheol, Hades, Hinnon, Gehenna and Eternal Death in the Bible.
Hell and destruction are never full… Proverbs 27:20
The wicked shall be turned into hell… Psalm 9:17
- The Fear of Hell is Unraveling and Useless.
But I’ll tell you whom to fear. Fear God, who has the power to kill you and then throw you into hell. Yes, he’s the one to fear. Luke 12:5
II. Hell Is an Echo of God’s Glory
1. Hell is a Horrible Reality. It is fearful beyond expression or imagination. The Bible assumes that it is a just and righteous recompense to all who sin.
2. Horror of Hell vs. Death of Christ. If the death of Christ can justly deliver millions of people from deserved eternal torment…
3. Justice of Hell vs. Greatness of God. Justice of hell stands as an everlasting witness to the infinite greatness of God…
III. The Insufficiency of Hell to Save
- Hell is Insufficient to Save Anybody . Hell cannot scare anyone into heaven, because heaven is a place for those who love God, not for those who just fear hell.
You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you; I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you, in a dry and parched land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. Psalm 63:1-3
- Fear of Hell is No Proof of Love for God. James 1:12 says that God promised the crown of life to those who love him—not fear hell, but love God. James 2:5 says that God promised the kingdom of God to those who love him.
- The Pathway to Heaven is the Path of Love to God. Fear may show you that you are on the wrong path. It may point you to the right one. But fear is not the path leads to life.
IV. What Causes True MOvement to Salvation
We must first fall in love with the Christ of heaven, then we are able to weep over sins of hell. Look at these examples:
1. David Brainerd’s Ministry (Indian Ministry, 1745)
And that which has distressed many of them under convictions, is that they found they wanted, and could not obtain, the happiness of the godly.
2. Apostle Peter’s Response to Jesus’ (Luke 5:8)
Oh, Lord, please leave me—I’m too much of a sinner to be around you.
v. Now Why Is That?
1. Genuine sorrow for sin is a sorrow for not having holiness.
2. The only true Sorrow for not having holiness comes from a love for God’s holiness not from a fear of the consequences of not having it.
VI. You Must Fall in Love with God
- True repentance must be preceded by a falling in love with God.
- God and his way of holiness must become your joy before you can weep over not having it.
- Hell is insufficient to produce tears of genuine repentance. For the tears to be real, they have to come from really missing God.
- Genuine grief over sin flows from joy in my relationship with Jesus.
- The tears that hell can produce are the tears of remorse and fear that the sin we love will destroy us.
- The practical purpose of hell is to shock us out of our love affair with the world and send us running to the fountain of life.
VII. Life APP
- Don’t let the fear of hell be your only motive for wanting heaven.
- Come to the living waters of God’s love and truth
- His steadfast love is better than life, so let the fearful insufficiency of hell drive you to the all-sufficiency of God.
The Lord is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. Psalm 145:8
And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. Romans 8:38