The Avengers – The Power of Unity and The Beauty of Purpose
- If you have not heard about The Avengers, well, you must be living under a rock. Marvel has created one of the most popular movie franchises in Hollywood history. Throughout the story of the Avengers we see the power of unity and the beauty of purpose as the greatest superheroes join forces for a singular cause.
- On April 26th, millions of people around the world gathered to watch Avengers: End Game. It’s the story of how evil, an enemy, and death itself, will be defeated by good, in an unlikely way.
2. The last Avengers movie, Avengers: Infinity War, made $2 billion worldwide. That’s the fourth highest-grossing movie of all time. The first Avengers movie made $1.5 billion and the second made $1.4 billion. Black Panther, another movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, made $1.36 million. Three other Marvel movies have made over $1 billion worldwide. So, people do pour out their money to watch these movies. And they pour out their time. On Thursday, CNBC reported that Endgame is getting close to $3 Billion, which make it the biggest movie of all time…
- I saw on Facebook a memo that suggested that fans should watch all of the twenty-one Marvel movies in their chronological order (according to time line) to gear up to watch this next movie. That would take over forty hours! And I’m sure there are more than a few people who are did tha
- Avengers are the Marvel Comics Superheroes, including Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, and the Hulk. Spider-Man has also joined the group. And in the last Avengers movie, which was released a year ago, the Avengers were up against the most powerful enemy they’ve faced, a villain named Thanos.
- Thanos is the Greek word for death, which is fitting, because Thanos wanted to kill a lot of people in the universe, in this he was succeeding…
- However, in this new movie, they will try to reverse the effects of death and even destroy the enemy named death.
- It’s amazing that millions of people will spend all that time and money to watch fictional tales of superheroes defeating evil—and hopefully defeating death—and yet most people will not take the time and effort to consider what, if anything, they can do in the face of the real enemy, the real death that awaits us all.
- As a Church, we can learn a great deal about what we are discussing. The Avenger movies have some powerful stories and they model important virtues. Today, I am focusing on three of these main points.
First, Are we Willing to Sacrifice?
Second, Can we Do Whatever it Takes?
Third, Do you Know the Real End Game?
I. Willing to Sacrifice? Laying Down Our Lives for Others
- The End has Come. The final chapter has been written. The final piece is placed. A decade-long saga concludes. We have reached the Endgame.
- Beginning with Iron Man in 2008, the drama has unfolded, movie by movie, to this: a depleted team of superheroes, whom we’ve cheered for and laughed with for years, now fights the seemingly indomitable foe, Thanos. The 22 movies and sneak peeks after the credits have lead us through its universe to a final showdown.
- Which makes one of the anticipated themes of the final movie slightly unnerving: Sacrifice.
- Real Sacrifice, not Reel Sacrifice, is the Story that Shouts from the Cross
Jesus’ Sacrifice, the Greatest Story ever told is the message, the message of our lives the Real End Game. He gave His life for us so that we might live…
“Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” John 15:13
- This is indeed something to Marvel At. The power of Sacrifice is the story of these Marvel movies, and much more the story of Christ.
Jesus said, “For this is my blood, which confirms the covenant between God and his people. It is poured out as a sacrifice to forgive the sins of many.” Matthew 26:28
a. For our Lord and Savior Jesus, Sacrificed everything. He gave it all so that we might live.
- Maybe everyone here has seen the Marvel finale — or your readying yourself to watch in on your Firestick, HBO or DVD for any highly anticipated drama —Whatever the case the story is about sacrifice and Christians are the ones who know that story the best. For our Lord and Savior Jesus, Sacrificed everything. He gave it all so that we might live.
II. Whatever It Takes The Significant Cost To Follow Jesus
We want to be people who love Jesus with all our heart, who trust him fully, follow him faithfully, and bear maximum fruit for his name. We want to be filled with as much God as we can possibly hold (Ephesians 3:19). We don’t want to be lukewarm (Revelation 3:16), or waste our brief life here on earth (Ephesians 5:16).
So let’s constantly live with the idea that we will do whatever it takes to follow God and live our lives for Him.
It’s really easy to be…
1. Being Safe
Over the years, many people have told me they fear “whatever it takes” because God just might actually answer. And if he does, he might make them do hard things or go to hard places where they might suffer. Praying and acting out “whatever it takes” feels dangerous.
- If we read Hebrews 11, we find that saints who seemed to pay a significant cost to fully follow God, holy heroes who, like Jesus, chose costly obedience for the sake of service & joy (Heb 12:2)
- They considered any hardship they endured worth the cost because the joy of their reward was so great (Heb 11:26).
- We are never safer than when we are in Jesus’s hands (John 10:28). And the safest way we can pray is to ask God to do “whatever it takes” for Jesus’s joy to be in us and for our joy to be full.
Jesus said, “I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy.” John 15:11
III. The Real Endgame Jesus Died And Rose To Save
We live in the greatest Story. God’s epic unfolds all around us. If Marvel characters were glorious enough to actually exist, they would envy us in our Story, not we in theirs.
- As I went to see Endgame, I was remembering that this is just a shadow of His Story.
- The great realities in whatever degree of sacrifice and triumph me us think about the Real Endgame. Jesus’ death on the cross two thousand years is the greatest reality.
- Unrivaled in Godness…In Him all things were created
The one who came to be Our Hero was the one who first created everything. He is the one whom… ”all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.” John 1:3.
“The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.” John 1:14
“For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.” Colossians 1:16
- Unlike any being in the Marvel universe, is the Big G, God.
“He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.” Colossians 1:17
“For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.” 1 Cor 1:25
“To whom will you compare me? Or who is my equal?” says the Holy One.” Isaiah 40:25
2. Unrivaled in Giving…He gave so that we may live
6 When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners. 7 Now, most people would not be willing to die for an upright person, though someone might perhaps be willing to die for a person who is especially good. 8 But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. Romans 5:6–8
- Unrivaled in Love…His Love has No Counterpart
Jesus died, not for good people minding their own business and for careless sinners, rather he died for everyone who calls upon His name.
- The Avengers died for good humanity; Jesus died for sinners!
- Jesus did not die unwillingly. No one got the upper hand against his will, outmaneuvered him, or overpowered him. His death wasn’t forced, He Gave His life as a gift to Us!!
“All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.” Revelation 1:5
- He gave his life as a ransom for many. The Real Hero displayed supreme love for us by Dying to pay for our Sins and Rising from the Grace to give us New Life!!! Now that is a Super Hero!