Love, Sex and Marriage 12 “And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you? He requires only that you fear the Lord your God, and live in a way that pleases him, and love him and serve him with all your heart and soul.13 And you must always obey the Lord’s commands and decrees that I am giving you today for your own good.” Deuteronomy 10:12-13
- GOD’S DESIGN FOR LOVE, SEX AND RELATIONSHIPS
- THE BIG IDEA: God created us to be loving, relational, sexual beings, and when we follow God’s design and purpose for these things, we will experience satisfaction, fulfillment and pleasure.
11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11
- God is good, He loves us, and He has Good plans for us.
- The Bible is the Blueprint – God’s Design for our lives!
Let me read it again…
13 And you must always obey the Lord’s commands and decrees that I am giving you today for your own good.” Deuteronomy 10:12-13
II. THE WAY GOD THINKS ABOUT SEX.
A. GOD IS PRO-SEX:
- God thought About it, Created it, Made it Work, and God said, “It was very good.” …so ‘It’ shouldn’t be awkward to talk about.
27 So God created human beings in his own image. In the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. 28 Then God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and multiply.” Genesis 1:27-28
2. Two of the most important truths we learn from God’s Word: God Created Us, and God Blessed Us.
a. God created Adam and Eve and expected them to fill the Earth.
b. God Blessed them with Sex to make this Happen!!
18 Let your wife be a fountain of blessing for you. Rejoice in the wife of your youth. 19 She is a loving deer, a graceful doe. Let her breasts satisfy you always. May you always be captivated by her love. Proverbs 5:18-19
PLAY CLIP FROM WALK TO REMEMBER
- God Wants US to ENJOY SEX
- God encourages married couple to enjoy and be satisfied by Sex.
- In Song of Solomon and 1 Corintians 7 husbands and wives are told to Enjoy each other’s bodies. (Please underline, circle…husband and wives)
3 The husband should fulfill his wife’s sexual needs, and the wife should fulfill her husband’s needs. 4 The wife gives authority over her body to her husband, and the husband gives authority over his body to his wife. 1 Corinthians 7:3-4
- Satan has Stolen what God created and sex is seen as something dirty And Shameful that you’re not supposed to talk about…so now its all perverted…not how it was planned.
- God wants us to Know about this Wonderful Gift of a Spouse and Love and Sex and Marriage and Relationships….and not learn about it from TV, the streets, at some sleepover, or in a junior high health class.
- GOD DESIGNED SEX FOR A MARRIAGE RELATIONSHIP:
24 This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one. 25 Now the man and his wife were both naked, but they felt no shame. Genesis 2:24-25
- God’s design is one man and one woman in a committed life-long marriage relationship….But the World has twisted it!!
The Apostle Paul in Romans talks about how bad homosexuality is in Romans 1…. 26 Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. Romans 1:26-27
- What would happen in our world if everyone began following God’s design? What changes would occur.
- God’s Design would end: prostitution, sex slavery, abuse, rape, homosexuality, adultery, pornography, guilt, shame, pain, etc!!!!
Wouldn’t our world be better? We started today by saying God’s ways are for our own good!!!
3 God’s will is for you to be holy, so stay away from all sexual sin. 1 Thessalonians 4:3
- D. SEX OUTSIDE OF MARRIAGE IS SIN:
15 Don’t you realize that your bodies are actually parts of Christ? Should a man take his body, which is part of Christ, and join it to a prostitute? Never! 16 And don’t you realize that if a man joins himself to a prostitute, he becomes one body with her? For the Scriptures say, “The two are united into one.” 17 But the person who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with him.
18 Run from sexual sin! No other sin so clearly affects the body as this one does. For sexual immorality is a sin against your own body. 19 Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, 20 for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body. 1 Corinthians 6:15-20
- Sex is not just a physical act, but there is a Spiritual Union – a soul tie – that takes place.
- 2. Sex before marriage is wrong because it violates God’s Word, its defined as ‘sexual immorality’ – sex with the wrong people…
27 Can a man scoop a flame into his lap and not have his clothes catch on fire?… Proverbs 6:27,29
- There is NO safe sex outside of marriage! Sure, maybe you can keep from getting pregnant, getting a STI, or getting caught. But you can’t protect your heart.
- The Apostle Paul wrote a similar idea to Timothy,
4 They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God. 2 Timothy 3:4
(We need to recognize that there are consequences for sin!)
- III. WHY DID GOD CREATE SEX?
- A. TO PRODUCE LIFE:
1 Now Adam had sexual relations with his wife, Eve, and she became pregnant. When she gave birth to Cain, she said, “With the Lord’s help, I have produced a man!” Genesis 4:1
- They become one and are united in sex.
- B. TO PROVIDE PLEASURE:
11 You will show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever. Psalm 16:11
- When we do things God’s way we find way to pleasure.
- If we follow His Ways, we will find the lasting pleasure He created for us.
- If you’re married, I encourage you to read the Song of Solomon – which describes an intimate sexual relationship between a husband and a wife. (Too steamy to read this am!)
- TO PROMOTE UNITY:
31 A man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one. Ephesians 5:31
- There is a oneness, an intimacy, that takes place. Bible talks about ‘knowing’ your wife or husband. As in Adam knew Eve and she was with child…
- TO PROTECT MARRIAGE:
4 Give honor to marriage, and remain faithful to one another
in marriage. Hebrews 13:4
- A healthy Love for each other in marriage and and a sex life will help defend you against temptation.
- Sex in marriage is to produce life, provide pleasure, promote unity, and protect Marriages.
- It’s important to talk about love, sex and marriage, and know God’s design.