Pastor Steve With
Week 10, 2 Thessalonians 2:1-17
Impact Christian Church, 03/01/2015
I. CLARIFYING JESUS’ RETURN
“Now, dear brothers and sisters, let us clarify some things about the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and how we will be gathered to meet him.” (1)
A Clarifying Two Issues: The Coming of Jesus and the Gathering
- This is the 6th Mention of Christ’s Coming in 2 Letters
- These are Two Elements of One Event
- He is Speaking of the Rapture (1Th 4:13-18)
1. Do Not Be Disturbed
“Don’t be so easily shaken or alarmed by those who say that the day of the Lord has already begun.” (2a) (Jehovah Witness)
- Thinking that they missed Jesus’ 2nd Coming!
- This Deception made the Thessalonians Panic.
2. Do Not be Deceived
“Don’t believe them, even if they claim to have had a spiritual vision, a revelation, or a letter supposedly from us.” (2b) (Mormons)
- Vision, Revelation…often used by leaders of cults.
- Letter…saying they had a special letter from Paul.
“Let God’s curse fall on anyone, including us or even an angel from heaven, who preaches a different kind of Good News than the one we preached to you.” Galatians 1:8
3. Do Not be Fooled
“Don’t be fooled by what they say.” (3a)
- False Teachers: Famous teachers who have started to teach false teaching:
– Rob Bell, just recently, came on to Oprah to change what the Bible says about Marriage and about Hell,
– Oral Roberts, years ago, said if they don’t raise 8 million for a new tower at his school God will kill him, etc.
- Fooled Ones : “You will be saved if you speak in tongues”, “You will be saved if you do the right works” “The world will end in “October, 1874; (2) April, 1878; (3) October, 1881, and (4) October, 1914;” Watch Tower from the Jehovah Witnesses.”
E. Do Not be Forgetful
“For that day will not come until there is a great rebellion against God and the man of lawlessness is revealed—the one who brings destruction. He will exalt himself and defy everything that people call god and every object of worship. He will even sit in the temple of God, claiming that he himself is God. Don’t you remember that I told you about all this when I was with you?” (3b-5)
- Forgetting the Truth leaves Christ Followers Vulnerable to Lies.
- Paul Says, “Don’t you remember that I told you…the day will not come until…”
- A Falling Away from True Faith
“there is a great rebellion against God”
- the Great Apostasy: Rebellion, Revolt. Leaving the Gospel.
- The Apostasy had not taken place, so the Day of the Lord has not arrived.
- The Man of Sin is Revealed
“and the man of lawlessness is revealed” (3c)
People have identified this man many times over the years, Antiocus Epiphanies, Caligula, Nero and in our century, Hitler, Stalin and others.
- The one who brings destruction. (3d) Lit. “the Son of destruction.” He will exalt himself (4a) He will demand the World’s Worship.
- Defy everything that people call god and every object of worship (4b) He will take down all that is good and of God. He will even sit in the temple of God, claiming that he himself is God. (4c) The Temple is the holy place of God…he is taking the seat of God.
- Do Not Be Ignorant
After looking at the act of apostasy, the great falling away from the Truth, Paul takes a deeper look at the Man of Lawlessness, the AntiChrist. He mentions 4 aspects of the AntiChrist’s career.
- His Revelation
“And you know what is holding him back, for he can be revealed only when his time comes. For this lawlessness is already at work secretly, and it will remain secret until the one who is holding it back steps out of the way. Then the man of lawlessness will be revealed” (6-8a)
- God is holding back the AntiChrist.
- But his Work is already happening in the World.
- His Destruction
“but the Lord Jesus will kill him with the breath of his mouth and destroy him by the splendor of his coming.” (8b)
- Jesus will remove the Antichrist when he comes.
- His Power
“This man will come to do the work of Satan with counterfeit power and signs and miracles. He will use every kind of evil deception” (9-10a) Fake Power, Signs and Miracles. Every Kind of Deception
- His Influence
“to fool those on their way to destruction” (10b)
- Decieving the Decieved
II. Clarifying Christ Follower Living
- Be Strong in Truth
“Because they refuse to love and accept the truth that would save them. So God will cause them to be greatly deceived, and they will believe these lies. Then they will be condemned for enjoying evil rather than believing the truth. (10c-12) They Refuse God’s Love and Truth, So God Gives them Over (also in Romans 1:21,24,26,28)
- Temporary Enjoyment vs. Eternally Living in the Truth?
- Be Secure in Christ
“As for us, we can’t help but thank God for you, dear brothers and sisters loved by the Lord. We are always thankful that God chose you to be among the first to experience salvation—a salvation that came through the Spirit who makes you holy and through your belief in the truth. He called you to salvation when we told you the Good News; now you can share in the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (13-14)
- We have Security because we…
- Experienced Salvation
- Have been Made Holy
- Share in Jesus’ Glory
- Be Firm in Faith
“With all these things in mind, dear brothers and sisters, stand firm and keep a strong grip on the teaching we passed on to you both in person and by letter. Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal comfort and a wonderful hope, comfort you and strengthen you in every good thing you do and say.” (15-17)
- Strong grip…hold on to the teaching you learned. Don’t let go!
- Paul Prays for eternal comfort and wonderful hope, from God’s love and grace.
- Comfort and Hope, they are the key ingredients for us to have peace and strength in all we do and say.
“And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father.” Colossians 3:7
There are verses on the bottom of the handout for reading this week. The various verses relate to today’s talk or prepare you for next week.
Look the antichrist will come, maybe in our lives or maybe the next…we don’t know. He will focus on…
His Power and His Influence
And He will exalt himself and say that he is God…even sitting in God’s chair. But we will not follow. Rather we will think and ask questions and not fall… rather
This is how we live…
- Be Strong in Truth
- Be Secure in Christ
- Be Firm in Faith