GOD WITH US
Week 2, Missing Christmas – Luke 2:1-20
Pastor Steve – Dec 10, 2017
I. MOST PEOPLE MISS CHRISTMAS EVERY YEAR?
A. The majority are Oblivious to the Reality of What and Who they are Celebrating.
1. Christmas has been so fantasized and secularized that people were, and are, numb to the M of Jesus’ Birth.
2. Street interviews: What’s the real meaning on Christmas? Christmas is a family time, a time for children… Christmas is a time for love to other’s and give to them… Christmas is just another excuse to p …
…Not one person mentioned Jesus, or that God was born in a Manger, or that Christmas was Jesus’ Birthday, or that…
B. Most people Missed the First Christmas too!
1. They were busy, consumed with all kinds of things—some
important, some not—but most of them just Missed!
II. PEOPLE WHO MISSED THAT FIRST CHRISTMAS.
A. The Innkeeper
1. He was confronted by a man and his very pregnant wife,
who He t away saying, “no lodging.”
- Not only were Joseph & Mary rejected, but he also didn’tcall for anyone to help a young mother about to give birth.
- Jewish people were civilized, intelligent, educated and, above all, hospitable people who cared about others…7 She gave birth to her firstborn son. She wrapped him snugly in strips of cloth and laid him in a manger, because there was no lodging available for them.
- The Innkeeper missed the birth of Jesus because he wasPreoccupied. His inn, or his guest room, or his lean-to shelter was full…He was just b , that’s all.
? The Innkeeper was exactly like so many of us today. In the clutter of activity, many preoccupied people miss Jesus!
B. Jerusalem Citizens
1. Out of the whole society of Jerusalem, God picked a Band of Shepherds to hear the news of Jesus’ birth!
17 After seeing him, the shepherds told everyone what had happened & what the angel had said to them about this child.
2. But what is so amazing is that even though “All who heard the shepherds’ story were astonished” (v18), not a single person went to see what had happened for themselves!
a. Lowly shepherds didn’t miss Jesus, but everyone else did…he was born just a f miles away in Bethlehem.
b. Why did Jerusalem miss Christmas? The answer in one word: Religion. Consumed by feasts, festivals and ceremonies, they missed the Message and the Messiah!
? The people of Jerusalem had religion, but they missed relationship with Jesus like so many Others!
C. King Herod
1. Herod acted like he wanted to worship Jesus, but in truth he was a of the One called, King of the Jews.
2. Herod did not want any competition to his throne: “King
Herod was deeply disturbed when he heard this…” Mat 2:3 3. Herod panicked, His Supremacy was in Jeopardy: He
killed family members, all male children under 2 in Bethlehem and all the leaders in Jerusalem at his death!
? Herod felt threatened by Jesus, so he fought in the fear that Jesus would take Him over and Change his Life.
III. DON’T MISS THIS CHRISTMAS!
Ignorant preoccupation, ritualistic religion, and jealous fear are all merely different expressions of the one main reason people miss Christmas: Unbelief .
? Perhaps you have been Missing Christmas. Please don’t miss another one! Simply invite Jesus into your life. Turn from your sin and unbelief and receive Jesus as Lord. He will forgive your sin, change your life, and give you the greatest gift anyone can ever receive—Himself!
Christmas Reading: Mon – Luke 1 Tue – Luke 2 Wed – Matt 1 Thu – Matt 2 Fri – John 1 Sat – John 2