I. How Do We Take Sin Seriously?
- The Church is God’s Spiritual Hospital: Called to open its doors to people who are sick with sin, addictions, burdens, hurts…
- If we get really mad at the Dr. when he says we had heart disease or failing lungs, it would be ludicrous!
a. The Church must Refuse to Tolerate Rebellion
1 I can hardly believe the report about the sexual immorality going on among you—something that even pagans don’t do. I am told that a man in your church is living in sin with his stepmother.
Issue One: There is a Problem with an Man
- “I can hardly believe the report” means this is Well Known & Public.
- The Scandal is not a Secret: See the front page of the Corinthian Times!
Issue Two: The Church is doing Nothing about it!
- Privileged to sit under Paul and Apollos’ teaching and preaching!
- This Sin should have been an Outrage to the Corinthians!!
II. How Should the Church Community Respond?
2 You are so proud of yourselves, but you should be mourning in sorrow and shame. And you should remove this man from your fellowship…6 Your boasting about this is terrible. Don’t you realize that this sin is like a little yeast that spreads through the whole batch of dough?
- Paul’s not attacking the Sinful Man…Paul’s Upset with the Church.
- Paul writes 4 Charges to the Church & 1 to this Sinful Man
- The Church is Boasting about this Sin: “yeast spreads” Galatians 5:9
- The Corinthians Responded Poorly to this Church Scandal.
3 Even though I am not with you in person, I am with you in the Spirit. And as though I were there, I have already passed judgment on this man. 4 In the name of the Lord Jesus. You must call a meeting of the church…
- Paul has facts to make the Judgment & Challenges the church to do the same: “Remove the log in your eye, then your friends speck.” Matt 7
- Paul expects the Church to “Hand him over to Satan”
- Hope is that the “sinful nature will be destroyed” then Repentance and R will happen!
III. Why should a Church Practice Church Discipline?
- There are a number of Critical Reasons…
- To glorify God. God commands His children to be holy as He is Holy: “You must be holy because I am holy.’” 1 Peter 1:16
- To purify the church. Sin is a spiritual cancer that cannot be allowed to grow. Not dealt with it can corrupt the entire church.
- To restore the sinning believer. Church discipline should focus on restoration, not judgment and condemnation. (Matthew 18:15)
- To deter people from sin. Disciplining a person reminds everyone that sin & holiness are serious matters. (1Tim 5:20)
- To maintain a credible witness in the world. When the church acts the same as the world, it loses its credibility. (1Pet 2:11)
IV. Which Sins warrant Church Discipline?
- Divisiveness. A self-centered individual who brings division.
- Conflict . When believers do not settle a dispute privately.
- False Teaching. The entire body will be adversely affected.
- Undisciplined Living. God calls us to live as devoted Followers.
IV. Why do we need to Take Action in this Case?
9 When I wrote to you before I told you not to associate with people who indulge in sexual sin. 10 But I wasn’t talking about unbelievers who indulge in sexual sin, or are greedy, or cheat people, or worship idols. You would have to leave this world to avoid people like that. 11 I meant that you are not to associate with anyone who claims to be a believer yet indulges in sexual sin, or is greedy, or worships idols, or is abusive, or is a drunkard, or cheats people. Don’t even eat with such people.
A. Issues of Pride
- Our Ministry is not judge the World. Rather it is to Bring Grace!
- Don’t get mad at the World for acting like the World.
- Rather, Don’t “Associate” with those who “Indulge” in Sin.
V. Whose Responsibility is it to Judge?
12 It isn’t my responsibility to judge outsiders, but it certainly is your responsibility to judge those inside the church who are sinning. 13 God will judge those on the outside; but as the Scriptures say, “You must remove the evil person from among you.”
- We have no Jurisdiction over Outsiders, they are in God’s H .
- However, we do need to Step Up to Handle Issues in the Church
- If we’re Spending your time trying to Clean the World, put Down your Scrub brush, pick up your Fishing pole, and go for the Fish!
”Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!” – Jesus (Mat 4:19)