“God’s Final Word” Hebrews 1:1-14
1 Long ago God spoke many times and in many ways to our ancestors through the prophets. 2 And now in these final days, he has spoken to us through his Son. God promised everything to the Son as an inheritance, and through the Son he created the universe. (1:1-2)
I. The Preparation for Christ
A. By the Prophets: Many Times & Ways
“Long ago God spoke many times and in many ways to our ancestors through the prophets.” (1:1)
1. God Spoke ‘Long Ago’.
a. The promised final days to the Jews
b. The Days of Fulfillment.
c. The Days of the King.
2. ‘Many Times’
a. 39 books in the OT
b. Through visions, parables, symbols, voice, etc.
3. ‘Many Ways’
a. Literary ways: narrative, poetry, law, history, etc.
b. Pentateuch, History, Poetry and Prophets
B. By the Son: One Way
“And now in these final days, he has spoken to us through his Son.” (1:2)
God’s full, perfect revelation awaited the coming of His Son. God, who used to speak in many different ways through many different people, has finally spoken in one way, through one person, His Son Jesus Christ.
The Whole New Testament is centered on Jesus. The Gospels tell His story, the Epistles comment on it and the Revelation tells of its culmination. From Beginning to end the N.T. is Christ.
II. The Perfections of Christ
“And now in these final days, he has spoken to us through his Son. God promised everything to the Son as an inheritance, and through the Son he created the universe. The Son radiates God’s own glory and expresses the very character of God, and he sustains everything by the mighty power of his command. When he had cleansed us from our sins, he sat down in the place of honor at the right hand of the majestic God in heaven. This shows that the Son is far greater than the angels, just as the name God gave him is greater than their names.” (1:2-4)
A. Jesus is the Full Expression of God
“He has spoken to us through his Son” (2b)
1. God fully expressed through His Son.
2. This Affirms Jesus as More than Human
3. He is infinitely superior to to any Created Being
B. Jesus is the Heir to all the God Possesses
“God promised everything to the Son as an inheritance” (2c)
1. All that is God’s finds its home in Jesus.
2. Everything that exists will find its meaning in Jesus
C. Jesus is the Agent of Creation
“Through the Son He created the universe” (2d)
1. God made everything through Jesus
(GK not ‘Kosmos’ but ‘aionas’ means Jesus is not only responsible for the universe, but he is responsible for creating time, space, energy and matter. Christ created the whole universe and all else.)
2. Still some don’t believe.
– Sir John Echols said that the odds of evolution making intelligent life on earth were about 400 thousand trillion trillion trillion trillion to one. Then after admitting that, he said believes in evolution. Hmmmm
– A.K.Morrison said for life on earth to evolve billions of interrelated circumstances had to appear simultaneously in the same infinitesimal moment. He said to believe in evolution is impossible.
3. Everything Created was Created through Jesus
Consider the vastness of the universe…
“God created everything through him, and nothing was created except through him.” John 1:3
Okay let’s take a break…
Jesus is the The Fulfillment of God’s Promises, Jesus is the expression of God on Earth, Jesus is the Heir to everything that God possesses, Jesus is the agent of All Creation!!
Jesus is greater than Everything!!!!
D. Jesus is the Radiance of God’s Glory
“The Son radiates God’s own glory…” (3a)
1. Radiance: GK apaugasma, “to send forth light”
2. No one can see God, the Son is the manifestation of God.
3. We would never be able to see of enjoy God’s light if we did not have Jesus to look at.
E. Jesus is the Exact Representation of God
“and expresses the very character of God.” (3b)
1. Jesus the “impression made in clay”
2. Imprint of God in time and space.
“Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. He existed before anything was created and is supreme over all creation.” (Colossians 1:15)
F. Jesus holds Everything Together
Christ not only made all things and will someday inherit all things, but He holds them all together in the meantime.
“and he sustains everything by the mighty power of his command” (3c)
1. He is the support and maintenance for everything.
2. How does the universe stay in perfect balance, Jesus is in control. Slow down the earth a bit or speed it up a bit and you can imagine the destination or move it further away from the sun we freeze, move it closer we freeze, change the perfect 23 degrees tilt of the earth and we lose seasons and we get flooded.
G. Jesus Sacrificed for Everyone
“When He had cleansed us from our sins” (3d)
1. Christ took the penalty of all sin and nailed it to the cross.
2. Jesus dealt with our Sin Problem once for All!
H. Jesus is Exalted about Everyone Else
“He sat down in the place of honor at the right hand of the majestic God in heaven.” (3e
1. Jesus is on the Power side of God
2. Jesus offered One Sacrifice, said ‘It is finished’, and sat down!
I. Jesus is Far Greater than the Angels
“This shows that the Son is far greater than the angels, just as the name God gave him is greater than their names.” (4)
1. Jesus was called His Son by God. (5)
“You are my Son. Today I have become your Father.” (Psalm 2:7)
“I will be his Father, and he will be my Son.” (2 Sam 7:14)
2. Jesus will be Worshiped by the Angels (6-7)
“Let all of God’s angels worship him.” (Deut 32:43)
3. Jesus will Sit on the Throne forever (8-9,13)
“Your throne, O God, endures forever and ever.” (Ps 45:6-7)
4. Jesus will Remain Forever (10-12)
“In the beginning, Lord, you laid the foundation of the earth
and made the heavens with your hands. They will perish, but you remain forever. They will wear out like old clothing.You will fold them up like a cloak and discard them like old clothing.
But you are always the same; you will live forever.”
5. Angels are only Servants, Jesus is the Savior! (14)
“Therefore, angels are only servants—spirits sent to care for people who will inherit salvation.”