Get to Know God. Learn the Bible. Connect with People.
Last night when Bill was talking he mentioned a great deal of Scripture. wonderful verses about faith and life and it really made me think about how relevant the Scripture are.
Do you think of all of the hundreds and hundreds of books that were published in the first century do you think any of them are still relevant to our lives today? Amazing that our first century document the Bible is totally relevant to our lives today!!!
1. Let’s get blessed
A. 4 Benefits to making the Word of God a Priority in your Life
Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.
1) It will teach you how the Lord Thinks
2) It will remind you of His Promises
3) It will reveal areas of your life that need His Correction
4) It will renew my Life with Goodness
Then I can answer those who taunt me, for I trust in your word.
II. Let’s get PersonaL
10 issues for great personal bible study:
1. Believe the Bible is God’s Word.
2. Trust it’s Truth .
3. Have Faith in the Process.
4. Believe it’s is Applicable to our lives.
5. Read, Read , Read. And then read more!
6. Understanding the Bible’s Values for life.
7. Rely on the Text .
8. Read the Word in the Company of Many.
9. Have a Willingness to be Wrong .
10. Make a Long-term commitment.
III. Let’s Go Deeper
A. Genres: Insight into Interpretation
A Biblical genre is a particular style of writing in Biblical texts which reveals differences of intent , manner , authorship, text , formality and formatting.
B. Biblical Genres:
- Pentateuch (Law) – Story of God’s Creation and Dealings with His people and their sin.(Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy)
- History – Story of God’s W ork among His people, Contains His Law in most cases. (Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 & 2 Samuel, 1 & 2 Kings, 1 & 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Jonah, Acts)
- Poets – Inspirational stories intended to Encourage people to live wisely.(Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, Lamentations)
- Prophets – Words of God spoken to the people through Human prophets.(Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel 1-6, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi)
? Apocalyptic – Symbolic in N ature that “reveals” God’s plans for the future and gives hope. (Daniel 7-12, Revelation 4-22)
5. Gospel – Proclamations of the “Good News“, Jesus/His life/Ministry/Plan/Resurrection.
(Matthew, Mark, Luke, John)
? Parable – a story that resembles real-life situations, getting people to think. (within the Gospels)
6. Epistle – Letter, Many purposes, Pay Attention to context. (Romans, Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 & 2 Thessalonians, 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Hebrews, James, 1 & 2 Peter, 1,2 & 3 John, Jude, Revelation 1-3
C. Rules to Live by…
1. Poets are great to read over and over, and excellent to encourage
2. History is the History of what happened, not necessarily what will happen to us.
3. Scripture interprets scripture, always!
4. Great ideas come from more than 1 verse (Check the Context)
5. Be clear when the Bible is clear, be reserved when the Bible is reserved.
6. 2000 years of biblical translation can be very helpful, use it to help you!
D. If It Ain’t there, it Ain’t there
1. Don’t be fooled by special knowledge, new books, crazy ideas, blood moons, prophecies, etc.
2. Stay connected to the Bible and to a Biblical Community.
IV. LET’S GO STUDY
1. Foundations of Bible: Pentateuch and Gospels
2. Old Testament:
Pentateuch, History, Poets and Prophets
3. New Testament:
Letters and Prophet