A People of Prayer Week 4, 1 Timothy 2
How are We Called to Make an Impact?
I. BE PEOPLE OF PRAYER 1 TIMOTHY 2:1-4
A. I EXHORT YOU: “I urge you, first of all” (v1a). parakaleo (admonish) , Paul says, “Make Praying for others your 1st priority!”
- PRAY FOR ALL PEOPLE (v1b). Paul uses Four words for prayer,
- “Ask God”…To meet particular the Needs of Others, Petition Him!
- “Honor Them”…Pray for Others, a Powerful word for Prayer.
- “Intercede on Their Behalf”…Intercessions are Prayers for Others
- “Give Thanks for Them”…Speak of our Thanksgiving to God
B. Paul is calling Timothy to Pray for Our Authorities…
“Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority” (v2a)
- This Would be Tough because they are Persecuting Christians…
- Paul adds, “All who are in Authority” This would include city and state officials, but wouldn’t be limited to civil authorities…
How is Timothy to Pray?
- “so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives “ (v2b). Pray for the officials, even the ones you don’t like, to “live peaceful and quiet”
- “marked by godliness and dignity. “ (v2c) Greek word eusebeia means devotion, piety, or reverence. Living Right on the inside
E. WHY PRAY THIS WAY?
- PLEASES GOD: “This is good and pleases God our Savior, who wants everyone to be saved and to understand the truth.“ (v3-4)
- Don’t Forget: God Desires All People to be Saved. However, God allows people to Choose or to Reject Him.
“God’s light came into the world, but people loved the darkness more than the light, for their actions were evil.” John 3:19
II. UNDERSTAND THE TRUTH 1 TIMOTHY 2:5-6
- ESSENTIAL FOR OUR FAITH…
- One God, “For, There is one God“ (v. 5a) This is a fundamental to Jews and Christians, and distinguished them from their neighbors.
There is only One God no matter what our Neighbors say!
2. One Mediator , “who can reconcile God and humanity, the man— Christ Jesus“ (v. 5b). A mediator is a person who stands in the middle—an intermediary or go-between…
3. ONE ransom, “He gave his life to purchase freedom for everyone.” (v6a). He was the price paid to redeem (to set free) all who call on His name.
- One Message , “This is the message God gave to the world at just the right time” (v6b). The One Message that Matters!
- One Time… “just the right time.”(6b) Not Chronos which has to do with the Right Time — Kairos has to do with Special Time…
III. BE A MODEL FOR OTHERS 1 TIMOTHY 2:7
“I have been chosen as a preacher and apostle to teach the Gentiles this message about faith and truth. I’m not exaggerating—just telling the truth.” (v7)
Paul has been chosen to 3 roles in the church—appointed by Christ.
- Preacher: a herald—a person who proclaims a message on behalf of another. Brings forth the Word of God to Impact others.
- Apostle: Ambassador, Messenger, One Who is S … to Share the Gospel; officially an advocate of Christ and His Message!
- TEACHER: Communicates the ways of God and the roles of people
- TELLING THE TRUTH: “I’m not exaggerating—just telling the truth”
- This is in contrast to Paul’s opponents, the False Teachers (1:3-11)
- Paul makes this statement in several situations where people have challenged His Authority (2 Cor 11:31; Gal 1:20)
“With Christ as my witness, I speak with utter truthfulness. My conscience and the Holy Spirit confirm it.” Romans 9:1
“All of you together are Christ’s body, and each of you is a part of it.” 1 Corinthians 12:27