Getting to the Heart, Psalm 23:1-6
I. Signs of a Hurried, Chaotic Life
4 Signs that we are out of control
“Within 10 years we will be spending our money to buy time.”
– George Barna (Frog in the Kettle, 1990)
The pace of Culture is doing great damage
• constant clutter • too much anger • addiction to speed
• superficiality • multi-tasking • fatigue
• spiritual emptiness • possession possessed
1. Ask: Why do I always over-commit?
I want others to love me, I get valued and strokes from them
2. Ask: Have we begun to believe the world’s lies?
That busyness is virtuous. This is success, Climbing the corporate ladder!
3. Ask: Am I afraid that if I slowdown my past will haunt me?
Some of us feel like if we stop and think and pray that all of our mistakes and sin will pop up.
4. Ask: Am I afraid I might miss something?
I don’t want to miss anything in life so… Eat, Drink and be Merry.
II. A SIMPLIFIED HEART AND LIFE:
What is at the heart of this issue?
1 The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need. 2 He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. 3 He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name. 4 Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me. 5 You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings. 6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23:1-6 (1000 BC)
Awareness that I have a Soul, v. 1 – The Lord is my shepherd…
He breathed the breath of life into the man’s nostrils, and the man became a living person (soul). Genesis 2:7
And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Is anything worth more than your soul? Matthew 16:26
• we have a soul • we are spiritual beings • we have to value our soul
2. Feeding and Nurturing my Soul, v. 2 – He lets me rest…
Be still in the presence of the Lord… Psalm 37:7
He lets me rest in green meadows
He leads me beside peaceful streams
• stop, slow down and listen • let your soul be refreshed
Finding my Identity in Christ, v. 3 – He renews my strength…
See how very much our Father loves us, for he calls us his children, and that is what we are! 1 John 3:1
We don’t truly believe that God loves us…if we did we would be satisfied in Him.
We don’t truly believe we can trust him with our lives… if we did we would die to culture and die to ourselves and follow Jesus.
‘This is why we are always really busy and trying to prove ourselves.’