- Come Under Someone …who is Mentoring Me?
2 You have heard me teach things that have been confirmed by many reliable witnesses. Now teach these truths to other trustworthy people who will be able to pass them on to others. 2 Timothy 2:2
- A Mentor, Discipler, Friend…passes on the truth… “teach these truths to other trustworthy people.”
- And then the pass it on to others…that is the design from the Bible for the Christian community. Pour into someone who pours into someone…who …
2. Connect with Scripture …when am I Reading the Bible?
16 Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Colossians 3:16
- “A Bible that’s falling apart usually belong to someone who isn’t.” – Charles H. Spurgeon
- Psalm 119:105, “Your word is a lamp to guide my feet. and a light for my path.”
3. Commit to Ministry …how can I SERVE Others?
45 For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. Mark 10:45
LISTEN…this is no an attempt to get more volunteers at Impact. Rather this is a statement about out living our Christian life to the fullest. To Staying on Track in our faith and life. Let me ask have you derailed? Have you stopped being impacted by other believers, have you stopped engaging in the Word, have you stopped serving others…you make be running off track!!
II. 8 Blessings of Serving Others
- Serving Allows us to Discover, Develop and Use our Spiritual Gifts.
10 God has given each of you a gift…Use them well to serve one another. I Peter 4:10
Ron Ritchie…the greatest Christian life is wrapping your life around your gifts!!!
2. Serving Allows us to Experience Miracles. 25 Around midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening. 26 Suddenly, there was a massive earthquake, and the prison was shaken to its foundations. All the doors immediately flew open, and the chains of every prisoner fell off! 27 The jailer woke up to see the prison doors wide open. He assumed the prisoners had escaped, so he drew his sword to kill himself. 28 But Paul shouted to him, “Stop! Don’t kill yourself! We are all here!” 29 The jailer called for lights and ran to the dungeon and fell down trembling before Paul and Silas. 30 Then he brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” Acts 16:25-30
3. Serving Allows us to Experience the Fun, Joy & Peace that comes from Obedience. “The Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness…” Galatians 5:22 Some of the greatest joy I have had as a Christian has been when I serve with others. Whether it is in the mission field or local church…it is has been fun and brought joy!!
4. Serving Helps us to be More like Jesus.
- We shift our focus off of ourselves onto others through serving. We begin to see others as Jesus sees them. And we see Jesus in others.
40 I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me! Matthew 25:40
5. Serving Surrounds us with other Christians who can help us Follow Jesus.
- When we’re working side by side with other people, a bond naturally forms. This is part of God’s plan for Us,
21 Do your best to get here before winter… 2 Tim 4:21. Paul and Timothy and others are so close to those they serve with…the bond is amazing!!
6. Serving Increases our Faith.
- When we see what He can do through us, we begin to see our Faith Transformed!!!
20 God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. Ephesians 3:20
7. Serving allows us to Experience God’s Presence.
- It’s the reason so many people on mission trips say they came home feeling like they got more than they Gave .
13 For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases Him. Philippians 2:13
8. Serving is Good for your Soul.
- Tapping into our gifts and passions builds self-confidence, energy, and strength, and produces an Abundant life in us.
We say, I don’t have time. I don’t know what I would do. I don’t have any special skills to contribute. They don’t need me. But the reality is the Lord doesn’t call the equipped; He equips the called. God used people like us to change the course of history. Moses didn’t think he was a leader, but God worked through Moses to bring Israel out of slavery. David was the youngest brother, but God worked through David to defeat a giant. Paul used to kill Christians before he met Jesus, but he went on to become one of the most highly-regarded and prolific writers/church planters in history. God doesn’t just want to work through you, He wants to work in you to do great and mighty things in His name.
1. Come under Someone
2. Connect with Scripture
3. Commit to Ministry
…Then we will enjoy a life of Serving our Lord!