1. Come under Someone …who is Mentoring Me?
2. Connect with Scripture …when am I Reading the Bible?
3. Commit to Ministry …how can I Serve Others?
This morning we are talking about the Struggle to Stay on Track. We are looking at how the world can get us off track…
THE STRUGGLE TO STAY ON TRACK, Week 2
“Some people have missed this whole point.” 1 Timothy 1:6
- Off track: We live in a time where people are running off track. We could talk about the distractions and issues they are falling into, or we could realize that we are just as vulnerable as they are…
In their letters, Paul, John and Peter give us a foundation for our New Series. They write to help us Stay on Track!!! I dare say that if we could grasp these things we too would be full of life and faith…and on track!
A. Wandering Off
Paul describes going off Track in his first letter to Timothy…
1. Some Have Been Shipwrecked (1 Timothy 1:19)
19 Cling to your faith in Christ, and keep your conscience clear. For some people have deliberately violated their consciences; as a result, their faith has been shipwrecked.
- Paul had hand two believers over to Satan for correction, they had shipwrecked their faith and violated their Conscience. (v20)
- John MacArthur describes conscience as “a built-in warning system that signals us when something we have done is wrong.”
2. Some Will Turn Away (1 Timothy 4:1)
1 The Holy Spirit tells us clearly that in the last times some will turn away from the true faith; they will follow deceptive spirits and teachings that come from demons.
- There will be lying spirits of Deception attacking our Lives. Their hope is to Derail us from our path in Christ.
3. Some Meander from Faith – “Avoid godless, foolish discussions with those who oppose you with their so-called knowledge. Some people have wandered from the faith by following such foolishness.” 1 Timothy 6:20-21
It is so easy to fall in godless chatter. We get in a group or with our friends and strong faith immediately weakens and is derailed.
16 Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly. 2 Timothy 2:16 (NIV)
Okay so we have seen how we can run off track and a bunch of items we need to avoid!! So now let’s look at…
II. ON TRACK: 5 The purpose of my instruction is that all believers would be filled with love that comes from a pure heart, a clear conscience, and genuine faith. 1 Timothy 1:5
A. Staying on Track Means that We Are Filled with Love
- Love Must Be #1 in Our Lives
- More than Knowledge 1 But while knowledge makes us feel important, it is love that strengthens the church. (1 Corinthians 8:1)
- More than Spiritual Gifts (1 Corinthians 13:1-2)
- More than Sacrificial Giving (1 Corinthians 13:3)
2. Love is Beneficial for Others
- Love Doesn’t consider Itself (1 Corinthians 13:4-7)
- Love Covers a multitude of Sins (1 Peter 4:8)
- Love Never Compromises Truth (1 Corinthians 13:6)
B. How Do We Get this Love… “a pure heart, a clear conscience, and genuine faith”
1. A PURE HEART . “God blesses those whose hearts are pure, for they will see God” Matthew 5:8
“So rejoice in the Lord and be glad, all you who obey him! Shout for joy, all you whose hearts are pure!” Psalm 32:11
- A pure heart is a heart that has nothing to do with falsehood. It is painstakingly truthful and free from deceitfulness.
“Run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts. Instead, pursue righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace. Enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts.” 2 Timothy 2:22
- The purity of heart is a constant and consistent pursuit of righteous living. Though we will never be perfect we continue to pursue purity and perfection.
- “Purity of heart is to will one thing, namely, God’s truth and God’s value in everything we do.” – John Piper
2. A CLEAR CONSCIENCE – 16 I always try to maintain a clear conscience before God and all people. Acts 24:16
Charles Spurgeon did not take a soft approach to leadership in his church. Once he told a man his conscience must be new for he never seemed to use it.
- Desire for Clarity : Conviction or Commended
“They demonstrate that God’s law is written in their hearts, for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right.” Romans 2:15
- The Work of a Good Conscience . 16 I always try to maintain a clear conscience before God and all people. Acts 24:16
We must strive for purity in our faith and walk. We never want to hear this about us, 2 These people are hypocrites and liars, and their consciences are dead. 1 Timothy 4:2
3. GENUINE FAITH
- Let’s Strive to have Steadfast Faith. Faith that doesn’t change!!
“I rejoice that you are living as you should and that your faith in Christ is strong.” Colossians 2:5
- Let’s Strive for Faith we can Count On. Faith that is Genuine!!
“May He give you the power to accomplish all the good things your faith prompts you to do.” 2 Thessalonians 1:11
Conclusion: Are you willing to give yourself (mistake) to Love: Love that grows from A PURE HEART,A CLEAR CONSCIENCE and GENUINE FAITH?
That is what God calls for and that is how we can Stay on Track in our faith and experience the Joy that God has for those who Follow Him!!!