Noah…I will Never Flood the Earth Again.
“Yes, I am confirming my covenant with you. Never again will floodwaters kill.” Genesis 9:11
Abraham…God will Always be your God.
“This is the everlasting covenant: I will always be your God and the God of your descendants after you.” Genesis 17:7
Moses…God’s own Special Treasure
“You will be my own special treasure from among all the peoples on earth.” Exodus 19:5
David…Eternal Hope, Promise and Kingship
“The Lord declares that he will make a house for you— a dynasty of kings!” 2 Samuel 7:11
II. The New Covenant: 7 Statements
“For I pass on to you what I received from the Lord himself. On the night when he was betrayed, the Lord Jesus took some bread and gave thanks to God for it. Then he broke it in pieces and said…” 1 Corinthians 11:23-26
? I Want us to See this Main Thing: “The Lord’s Supper celebration of Jesus establishes the New Covenant.”
1. The Celebration of Christ’s Work
The first point is made explicit in 1 Cor 11:25:
“In the same way, he took the cup of wine after supper, saying, ‘This cup is the New Covenant between God and his people—an agreement confirmed with my blood. Do this in remembrance of me as often as you drink it.’” 1 Corinthians 11:25
- So each time we drink the cup of the Lord’s Supper, we are to remember that the shedding of the blood of Jesus is how the New Covenant was established.
2. The New Covenant Prophesied in Jeremiah 31
“But this is the new covenant I will make with the people of Israel after those days,” says the Lord. “I will put my instructions deep within them, and I will write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. And they will not need to teach their neighbors, nor will they need to teach their relatives, saying, ‘You should know the Lord.’ For everyone, from the least to the greatest, will know me already,” says the Lord. “And I will forgive their wickedness, and I will never again remember their sins.”” Jeremiah 31:33-34
- So the new covenant is God’s pledge to forgive the sins of his people and to put his laws within us and to write them on our hearts, and to be our God and to make us his people.
3. Not a Mere Possibility
? The New Covenant is not a mere possibility; it is a New Creation.
- It is something not merely that God proposes, but something that he accomplishes.
- It is the creation of a people for God who will not forsake Him
- They will be his people and He will be their God forever.
- The certainty of it lies not in them, but in God’s covenant commitment: He says that He will forgive their sins and remember their iniquity no more. And He says that He will write His laws this time not just on tablets of stone, but on tablets of the heart.
4. Two Problems Solved
- So the two problems that separate people from God are solved in the New Covenant.
First is the problem of guilt…because of sin we feel guilty.
- Jesus solves this problem by shedding his blood to lift our guilt by taking it on himself—
“I will forgive their wickedness, and I will never again remember their sins.” Hebrews 8:12
Second the Problem of Rebellion—our tendency to run away from God and follow the destructive suggestions of the world
- God solves by writing his law on our hearts so that it is not just his will imposed from outside, but it is his will experienced from the inside as our own will.
“This is the new covenant I will make with my people on that day, says the Lord: I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds.” Hebrews 10:16
5. Not Just a Command, but Also a Gift
- Another way of promising the new covenant was made by Moses in Deuteronomy 30:6, “The Lord your God will change your heart and the hearts of all your descendants, so that you will love him with all your heart and soul and so you may live”
- In the New Covenant “you will love him with all your heart” this puts the new covenant commitment of God like this: “I will put my Spirit in you so that you will follow my decrees and be careful to obey my regulations.” Ezekiel 36:27
- In the New Covenant the allegiance of the human partner in the covenant is not left in question. God secures it—with the infinite worth of his Son’s blood and with the infinite power of his own Spirit.
6. New Covenant, Jesus’ Death, and Our Hearts
First, The connection between the new covenant, and the death of Jesus, and the working of God in the hearts of his people to cause them to walk in his ways is made explicit in Hebrews 13:20–21.
“Now may the God of peace—who brought up from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great Shepherd of the sheep, and ratified an eternal covenant with his blood—may he equip you with all you need for doing his will. May he produce in you, through the power of Jesus Christ, every good thing that is pleasing to him. All glory to him forever and ever! Amen.”
Second, The New Covenant established an Intimacy between God and the Believer.
- God wants a Relationship with All Believer’s. He doesn’t want us to live alone, He wants to walk with us and be the main part of our lives.
- By God’s grace we have enjoyed such a relationships with our children. Jill and I happily remember our kids growing up. It was a joy to walk through life and school. So many of our times together are very memorable…amusement parks, beaches, mission trips, cheerleading & sports competitions all over the country. It was such a blessing being part of all this.
- Our kids knew they were loved. They internalized their parents love and this gave them great assurance growing up. In the same way, Internalizing the New Covenant which reveals the Heavenly Father’s love equips us for life.
7. The Point of Today’s Passage
- The Lord’s Supper is a celebration of Jesus establishing the New Covenant, by shedding His blood for His people and thus securing for them the forgiveness of their sins and the sanctification of their souls. Forever, Jesus sacrifice in love secured our futures forever!!!
Closing: This is a Massive Divine Initiative that chose me, predestined me, and bought me, and called me, and raised me from the dead, and justified me, and put his Spirit within me, and wrote his law on my heart, and is working in me that which is pleasing in his sight, and will glorify me just as surely as his Son’s blood is of infinite value.
- This Initiative is the New Covenant which completed my faith and gives the believer Hope and Purpose in this life and the one to come.