Born to Be Alive, Series – John 20
Impact Christian Church – Pastor Steve With – Easter 2017
20 “After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord.” John 20:20
- The resurrection of Jesus Christ was a surprise to the disciples. Although the Lord had foretold his resurrection the disciples did not believe it.
- They had lost all hope for their lives when Jesus died. They were in deep sorrow , fear and discouragement.
B. The resurrection of Jesus was a surprise that turned their sorrow into joy…Even in our lives we sometimes get discouraged and lose all hope even though we know all the promises of God.
- The resurrection gives us the hope that a big surprise is waiting for us.
2 “We were filled with laughter, and we sang for joy. And the other nations said, ‘What amazing things the Lord has done for them. 3 ‘Yes, the Lord has done amazing things for us! What joy!’” Psalm 126:2-3
1 Early on Sunday morning, as the new day was dawning, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went out to visit the tomb. 2 Suddenly there was a great earthquake! For an angel of the Lord came down from heaven, rolled aside the stone, and sat on it. 3 His face shone like lightning, and his clothing was as white as snow. 4 The guards shook with fear when they saw him, and they fell into a dead faint.
5 Then the angel spoke to the women. “Don’t be afraid!” he said. “I know you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. 6 He isn’t here! He is risen from the dead, just as he said would happen. Come, see where his body was lying. Matthew 28:2-6
A. The resurrection of Jesus Christ established the triumph of good over evil, of truth over falsehood, of the power of God over the power of Satan.
- The enemies of Christ may have felt that they had succeeded in their efforts to destroy Christ. Satan may have thought that he had won a great victory by the death of Christ on the cross. People may have felt that evil has triumphed in the crucifixion of Christ. But the resurrection of Christ established beyond doubt the supremacy of truth and righteousness. Even in our lives sometimes it may appear as though evil and falsehood are prevailing. but the resurrection of Jesus gives us the assurance that ultimately truth and good prevails. God is still on the throne.
54 Then, when our dying bodies have been transformed into bodies that will never die, this Scripture will be fulfilled:“Death is swallowed up in victory. 55 O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?” I Corinthians 15:54-55
19 “That Sunday evening the disciples were meeting behind locked doors because they were afraid of the Jewish leaders. Suddenly, Jesus was standing there among them! ‘Peace be with you,’ he said.” John 20:19
- The resurrection of Jesus Christ Brought the Possibility of Salvation to the World.
2. Once Jesus rose from the Dead, we all can have Peace with God.
3. Jesus conquered the Grave, and we can have New Life!
4. Even closed doors could not stop Jesus from telling His disciples of their new faith. No evil forces could affect him anymore. His enemies could not touch him after his resurrection. He was lifted high above everything else.
49 “And now I will send the Holy Spirit, just as my Father promised. But stay here in the city until the Holy Spirit comes and fills you with power from heaven.” Luke 24:49
- After his Resurrection, Jesus told his disciples to stay in Jerusalem to receive the Holy Spirit.
- Their Sins were paid for on the Cross, so they could receive the Holy Spirit.
- Even before his death on the cross he told his disciples that it is good for them that He goes away because then ‘The Advocate’ would come.
26 “But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.” John 14:26
- C. It is God’s will that everyone of His children be filled with the Holy Spirit. This is the promise of the resurrection which was fulfilled on the day of Pentecost.This is a vital need for every believer who is living in these last days when the forces of hell are raging against the children of God.
8 “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Acts 1:8
1 “Later, Jesus appeared again to the disciples beside the Sea of Galilee. This is how it happened. 2 Several of the disciples were there—Simon Peter, Thomas (nicknamed the Twin), Nathanael from Cana in Galilee, the sons of Zebedee, and two other disciples. 3 Simon Peter said, “I’m going fishing.” “We’ll come, too,” they all said. So they went out in the boat, but they caught nothing all night. 4 At dawn Jesus was standing on the beach, but the disciples couldn’t see who he was. 5 He called out, “Fellows, have you caught any fish?” John 21:1-4
- Does that sound familiar? Remember, Jesus first called his disciples from the shores of Sea of Galilee: 16 “One day as Jesus was walking along the shore of the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew throwing a net into the water, for they fished for a living. 17 Jesus called out to them, “Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!” 18 And they left their nets at once and followed him.” Mark 1:16-18
- The resurrection of Jesus Christ gave a New Start in the life and ministry of the disciples.
- They were Discouraged and had Lost their Vision after the Death of Christ. But the Resurrection of Christ brought a new start!!
- Jesus commissioned them to go into all the world and preach the gospel. The resurrection of Jesus Christ gives every believer the responsibility to reach this generation with the gospel of the resurrected Christ.
May the truth of His resurrection inspire us to share our faith as we are not serving a dead God but a Living One.
- As Jesus ascended to heaven after his resurrection the angels proclaimed that He would come back in the same way as he went up.
- Therefore the resurrection of Jesus Christ also gives us the responsibility to prepare for His Second Coming.
- This time He is coming to Rule and Judge the World.
- The bible warns that everyone who has this hope must purify himself.
- May the resurrection message cause us to prepare to meet the Lord.
- The resurrection of Jesus Christ is a Sign to every believer that he is also going to be Resurrected One Day.
- It also gives us the hope that we would meet all our loved ones who have died in the Lord.Therefore we are instructed not to sorrow like those who have no hope .
- The resurrection of Jesus christ gives the assurance of the same resurrection to all his children.
- “Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Then we will be with the Lord forever.” I Thessalonians 4:16-17
- A.The Resurrection is a Sign to Every Believer that they will Resurrect!
- Jesus’ Resurrection gives us Hope to see our Lord and our L Ones who are in Him, when we go Home to Heaven!
“Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Then we will be with the Lord forever.” I Thessalonians 4:16-17