- The Rest of Our Lives
- Outline on John 15, Have I ever told you about how a fountain works?
- Abide in Christ (???? men?)
1 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. 9 As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. 10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. 11 These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.” John 15:1-11 (ESV)
- The More Abiding, the More Pruning.
“every branch that does bear fruit he prunes” (v1-2)
“Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.” (v4)
- When we Abide in Jesus, we can be Secure . We are in him. He’s got a hold of us. and He is shaping us to be His Children.
- When we Abide in Jesus, we know we have God as our pruner to make our lives progress, and grow and move forward!!
“The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life.” John 10:10
- Look, we don’t always know what to do, where to go, how to live in a particular situation, so the Father prunes us to make our lives bear more fruit. Though pruning may be painful, it always leads to a more fruitful life.
- The More Abiding, the More Fruitful Life.
“Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit” (v5)
- Now by a show of hands…Who wants to be fruitful and bless other people and live a full life through Jesus?
- Who wants to be experiencing the life of Christ in them so that they might influence others toward Christ? Show of hands…
- Okay, now…Who wants to be pruned? See I set you up on that. Nobody wants to be pruned. And yet, in John Chapter 15, we are talking about strength now, in John Chapter 15, Verse 2, Jesus doesn’t say 10% of the branches and me will be pruned. He doesn’t even say 99%. He says, every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, will be pruned so that it might bear more fruit.
- I once saw a documentary on wine-making; they showed helicopter shots of the vineyard in its full harvest and it was beautiful. And then they showed the pruning time and it didn’t look anything like what the first shot looked like. It looked bad. It looked bare, like nothing could possibly have been growing there at all. And the people who make the wine, who prune back the vine, have to do that so successive fruit is strong and it will be quality and I think that if we are not being pruned, then we are not worth much in the kingdom.
- The More Abiding, the More Action
“If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.” (v7)
- The words of Jesus abiding in us prepare us for fruit-bearing prayer and fruitful life.
- The more we are saturated by the words of Jesus, the more our prayers will be answered and we will have Impact!!
- The More Abiding, the More Joy
“These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.” (v11)
“may be full” “Play raw o” – to fill to the top: so that nothing shall be wanting to full measure, fill to the brim!!
- Benefits of Loving Others
12 “This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. 13 There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me. 16 You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name. 17 This is my command: Love each other.” John 15:12-17 (NLT)
- The More Loving, the More like Christ
“Love each other in the same way I have loved you.” (v12)
- When we love each other we are like Jesus
- Our love for others is always based on Jesus’ love for us!
“Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other.” John 13:34
“Abiding in Christ involves letting his words abide in us.” – John Piper
- The More Loving, the More Connected
“You are my friends if you do what I command.” (v14)
- When we obey Jesus we are His friends
- No longer slaves, but friends!
- The More Loving, the More Fruit
“I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit” (v16)
- Lasting Fruit, sharing our faith to change lives, leading people to Christ, and helping people grow in faith.
- When Christ’s Word abides in us, we can’t help but tell others about Him.
- The More Loving, the More Persecution
“If the world hates you, remember that it hated me first. The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged to it…” (vv18-25)
- Because we Belong to God, we are no longer part of the World
“…I chose you to come out of the world, so it hates you.” (v.19)
- They feel Guilty by the Way a Follower Lives
“They would not be guilty if I had not come and spoken to them. But now they have no excuse for their sin.” (v.22)
- Sharing our Faith (???????? martyre?)
26 “But I will send you the Advocate—the Spirit of truth. He will come to you from the Father and will testify all about me. 27 And you must also testify about me because you have been with me from the beginning of my ministry.” (vv26-27, NLT)
- The More we Share, the More the Spirit Speaks
“He will come to you from the Father and will testify all about me” (v26)
- The More we Share, the More we Model Christ
- When we tell people about Jesus, it demonstrates our understanding and relationship with Him
- We Share Christ because we Abide in Him
“you must also testify about me because you have been with me” (27)
the rest of our liVeS
We Abide in Christ, Love Others and Share our Faith. That is how we will have an abundant life in Christ. This is how we spend the rest of our lives.
Have I ever told you about how a fountain works?